Gaza update April 1, 2009Posted by ibnmahadi in Uncategorized.
When the devastating conflict in Gaza began on December 27th 2008, launched a £5 million appeal to send emergency relief to the people of Gaza. Although we expected a fantastic response, we did not expect your generosity to reach record breaking heights- it demonstrated a commitment to serving humanity that stretched way beyond a few pounds from your purses Alhamdulillah.
Jazak Allah Khair
May Allah (SWT) reward you for showing your compassion and sympathy for the people of Gaza.
“Say: “No reward do I ask of you: it is (all) in your interest: my reward is only due from Allah.” [The Qu’ran Saba 34:47].
See your amazing response to our appeal….
• You hit the £1 million mark after 2 weeks.
• You raised a record breaking £100,000 during ‘Qiyam and Qunut for Gaza’ prayer at the.
• You raised a fantastic £300,000 at our fundraising dinner ‘An Evening for the Children of Gaza’.
• Our volunteers collected over £10,280 through street, door and tube collections.
• To date you have raised £1,950,964.92.
An Evening for the Children of Gaza
A big jazak Allah khair to all those that attended and made the night a great success. Guests were treated to a wonderful three course meal as well as A-list entertainment and speeches. There were thought provoking nasheeds by internationally renowned artist Dawud Wharnsby. There were also stirring speeches by brothers Anas Al-Tikriti (President of the Cordoba Foundation) and Dr Daud Abdullah (Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain)., Labayk, Abdullah Role and a surprise guest appearance by
The pinnacle of the night was our Gaza Water Challenge – the challenge was to raise £200,000 for Muslim Aid’s Gaza water purification plant – amazingly with just over 400 guests in the room, the challenge was well and truly conquered with over £300,000 raised! Jazak Allah khair again, we could not have done this without you.
A special thanks to our sponsors, without whom this event would not have been possible: Greenleaf Events (great food and service); Euro Quality Lambs and Baraka (much needed financial support for the event); Naiem Khan and Zafar Iqbal (for the excellent sound and stage system) and the London Hilton Metropole (for the great venue).
Our long-term plans
It is so important to us that every penny you donate goes to the people of Gaza. We are working with local partners to assess how your money will fund the second phase of our work. Muslim Aid believes that rebuilding homes and rehabilitating buildings are vital to get communities back on their feet. Insh’Allah we will also continue our work with the Palestine Trauma Centre to give trauma counselling to affected families.
See how we will help the people of Gaza….
• Establishing a Muslim Aid Field Office which will coordinate our rehabilitation projects throughout the region. We will be employing local staff and volunteers which will be able to deliver our projects more effectively.
• Rehabilitation of a water purification plant which will purify water for over 250,000 people per day. The plant will provide 100 schools, 40 mosques, 10 hospitals with clean drinking water as well 500 families with water tanks. The clean drinking water will also mean fewer illnesses due to contaminated water supplies. We will also teach 100 children and students about the importance of conserving water.
• The provision of medicines for those left injured by the conflict.
• Taking experienced healthcare professionals from the UK and training 15 social workers, psychologists, teachers, nurses and project staff to work with traumatised children at the work Palestine Trauma centre.
• Continuing our work with the Palestine Trauma Centre to make sure that between 250-300 children and their families receive trauma counselling, advice and long term support.
• Working with local partners to repair five clinics as well as providing life saving medical equipment.
• Working with Noor al Maarifa, Muslim Aid will provide over 700 families with the equipment and construction materials to rebuild their homes.
Remember the people of Gaza still need your support – please continue to give!
|Visit www.muslimaid.org for more information|